If you are getting ready to move and concerned about safely moving your household goods this series of articles will show in details how to wrap your furniture for any small or large move. I have been in the moving business for over 20 years, moved hundreds of families personally as a foreman and driver, and then thousands more as an owner of a moving company, both moving locally and moving interstate.
We are not trying to cover 100% of the packing supplies, but only the most popular that are used by movers and that you can and should expect to find in a moving truck: Blankets, Boxes, paper, bubble wrap and Shrink wrap, plastic covers. With this set of supplies you can move any type and pack of china, artwork or furniture.
Regardless if you hire professional movers or do it yourself, it is good to know how to wrap the furniture and what to expect. We sell moving supplies and often hear questions: – How many moving blankets do I need? Which moving blanket should I use and how do I wrap my furniture?
The way to wrap furniture for moving depends on specifics of your move. Is it interstate move, across the country, or local moving around the block? Loading PODS or international shipping container, or moving to long term storage?
Another option is paper moving blankets. Most people are not even aware of paper blankets to be used for moving, meanwhile it is a very good alternative to quilted moving blankets, especially if you are moving only once or sending your goods to a long term storage or moving overseas.
Word of caution about shopping for a moving company: If you have valuable furniture to move – do not look for cheap movers, look for good ones. Inexperienced movers or movers with bad reputation compete on price, not on professionalism.
Plastic covers for moving would include Shrink stretch or wrap and Plastic mattress cover, plastic sofa cover or plastic chair covers. It is not at all better than a plastic mattress cover, but it is more profitable for a moving company: it cost much less to buy a roll of shrink wrap, but it takes longer to mover plus wrap can charge more for each item wrapped. Sometimes the color bleeds off the moving blanket onto upholstery.
Moving boxes can be single wall, such as Book boxes, Linen boxes etc. or double wall, such as China Boxes, TV boxes, Wardrobe boxes etc. Movers mostly use 0.5 inch bubble wrap 24 inches wide. Bubble wrap is good for wrapping electronics or large pieces of glass.
SUMMARY: When preparing for the move consider specifics of your move and consider the furniture you want to wrap. – Get space savers or paper blankets, need better protection – get premium quality thick moving blankets.
If you are moving locally and hiring a professional moving company you should expect them to show up with blankets and you should not be charged for it. If you are moving long distance (interstate moving) or to storage, then purchasing your own moving blankets might be a good idea. Moving Blankets can be of two major kinds: Quilted or padded moving blankets and Non-Quilted,, also called Skins or Space Savers.
Economy moving blankets provide adequate protection and do not take much room in the storage. For long distance or interstate moving where interstate carrier charges by weight the advantage is that these blankets are much lighter than regular moving blankets. If you move often, moving blankets with woven outer fabric much more durable moving blankets and will serve much longer.
Contrary to some statements I came across in other articles, Movers do care about your shipment, in most cases foreman is personally responsible to pay for your movers and damages also know that if something gets broken it is unlikely that they get any tips. It is important to make a foreman (moving crew leader) which items require special care.
The movers simply do not have time to consider how delicate each and every item might be. It is true that most damage occurs while carrying, unloading and loading, but it is also true that if movers (or yourself) do not load the truck properly some items will get damaged in transit.
Creating a numbered list of everything you are moving assures that you do not forget to take anything, and it’s a terrific way to plan what things goes together instead of just dumping several things as you can into one box. This can also make unpacking less complicated. You can easily check the items that you wanted to pack off your list to find out if they came.
Number or label your boxes to make sure you know what’s what when it’s time to throw open the boxes. If you’re moving in stages, like when you have to take temporary residence and place some items in storage… you might also want to put unique or numbered labels on the boxes. This may seem extremely time consuming, but packing correctly will be worth every effort once you’re in your new home.
I moved two weeks ago and used a company called Girls on the Move. They’re a majority female moving company and they even have a checklist you can request! If they’re packing for you, you don’t need a list. Just get out of the way and let them do it.
From moving big furniture pieces to wrapping delicate items, the trained professionals at Girls On The Move handle everything with care and safety. Moving is one of the most vulnerable moments in a person’s life, and therefore you need to be able trust the people you hire for packing and moving your stuff. Most of the movers and packers handle materials roughly and haphazardly. But Girls On The Move provide an extra soft and feminine touch to handle your belongings with respect and safety.
Have you moved recently? What tips do you have?
Remember the following: moving companies need to have a superb performance history, a considerable network, as well as be accredited as well as guaranteed. Additionally, they should be expert, courteous, comprehend your demands as well as extend the suitable suggestions.
If you take care of to locate the suitable moving company after that half the fight is won. Amongst the best obstacles of relocating from one city to an additional, to the countryside, or abroad is discovering a reliable and also sincere moving company.
Below are a couple of variables to think about to place you on the ideal track:
1. Accomplish the moving company as well as discover the size of time they have actually stayed in business and also whether they could give you a couple of recommendations.
2. Check the recommendations. Call their customers to analyze the solutions the moving company provided and also whether there were any kind of concerns.
3. Do an on-line search to recognize whether there are any type of warns or complaints versus the moving company.
4. Seek advice from the local chamber of business or financial institution to determine the relocating company’s solution standing.
5. Evaluate if the moving company’s permit and also insurance policy are existing. Assurance they have worker’s negotiation as well as various other benefits in position.
6. Determine whether the moving company manages the job himself or selects it to a below rep or affiliate.
7. The moving company has to have a wide connect with work environments in the location you are moving to.
8. A decent moving company will certainly belong to AMSA, the American Relocating and also Storage Space Organization. As a specialist he will certainly have dedicated to complying with a market Guideline and also will certainly utilize high quality solution.
9. The perfect moving company will certainly not provide you a quote off the top of his head. He will strongly urge making an initial analysis, listing obstacle be relocated, as well as ask you to address a variety of concerns. Accordinged to which he will certainly prepare a quote as well as emphasize variables.
10. He will certainly be open minded as well as discuss simply just what you could expect as well as just what you could not. He will certainly notify you everything about insurance coverage, the real relocating procedure, transportation storage space, guarantees and so forth.
The best moving company will certainly value your organisation and also explain his duties simply.
When you understand you should relocate designate ample time to locating the ideal moving company. Ask proper problems like will certainly my things reach its area as guaranteed, will certainly the worldly action as one tons or as component of various other points, a larger tons. What sort of training do your employees obtain? Are the workers experienced in packaging vintages as well as various other valued belongings? Do I need added insurance policy protection in addition to the one supplied by you?
Be sensible and also evaluate the advantages as well as disadvantages meticulously. Never ever allow expense establish your option. Occasionally by reducing edges to conserve a number of dimes you might loose thousands in harmed items or shed items.